Sunday, August 15, 2010

LET THEM EAT CAKE



INT. IVANA'S APARTMENT - SAME NIGHT

Ivana sits down at a table when they get in the apartment. She looks pale and she is breathing a little heavily.

ANASTASIA
What did you eat today?

IVANA
Oh, some apples and a...I don't remember.

Ivana looks at Anastasia intensely for a moment.

ANASTASIA
What?


IVANA
I want you to do something for me.

ANASTASIA
What?

IVANA
Could you call my mother if anything happens?

ANASTASIA
Anything like what?

IVANA
I don't know. Like today. What if I went to the hospital?

ANASTASIA
Oh. Yeah. Of course.

IVANA
MAma is always worrying if I'm going to church.

ANASTASIA
Wow.

IVANA
I know...I haven't gone in months, but it's very important to her.

ANASTASIA
Why are you talking about church?

Ivana changes the subject.

IVANA
I'm supposed to wear the wedding dress tomorrow.

ANASTASIA
I know. I heard. Congratulations.

IVANA
Thanks. Yukiko always liked me.

They sit quietly for a few seconds.

IVANA
Do you think you'll ever get married?

ANASTASIA
I don't know. How about you?

IVANA
I've been thinking about it a lot lately.

ANASTASIA
Now that I remember, didn't you say you were against marriage before?

IVANA
Oh maybe. I just - I don't know.

ANASTASIA
It's a good excuse to eat cake.

They laugh.

IVANA
Oh my God. Cake. What a wonderful thought. I love cake.

ANASTASIA
I know. So that's why we need to have an excuse to eat it.

IVANA
That's true. Promise me you'll eat cake with me if I get married.

ANASTASIA
Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment