Thursday, September 1, 2011

PRINCESS ANASTASIA


INT. GUNTHER'S APARTMENT - SAME NIGHT
Anastasia is staring dully out the window as her friend GUNTHER, a middle-aged fashion designer and photographer, comes over carrying a cup of coffee.
ANASTASIA
I'm sorry to show up here so drunk, but I -
GUNTHER
You don't have to apologize.
ANASTASIA
It's just that I watched her cutting those apples into like a thousand pieces and I should have known.
GUNTHER
You're not a doctor.
ANASTASIA
I knew exactly what she was... and besides, I'm her - I was her friend. Friends are supposed to take care of each other.
There is a clap of thunder.
GUNTHER
That rain is really intense - beautiful.
ANASTASIA
Some doctor cut her open. Like an animal. Like a pig.
Anastasia is very visibly upset. Gunther starts to touch her to comfort her, but she moves away.
ANASTASIA (CONT’D)
You're right. The rain is beautiful. I've always loved the rain.
She stares out the window for a few moments while he watches her.
GUNTHER
You can stay here tonight.
She looks at him.
GUNTHER (CONT’D)
In the guest room.
She smiles at him for a second and then she suddenly hugs him. As completely as she resisted him before, she melts into him in an open, child-like way. She remains comfortably in his arms for a few moments and then she gently moves away.
ANASTASIA
I should go home.
GUNTHER
Ah, Princess Anastasia, you really should be careful. You need to take care of yourself.
Anastasia starts to leave, but she almost falls down. Gunther watches her as she just stands in one place wobbling. He goes to her to help her.
ANASTASIA
No. No. I'm OK.
GUNTHER
Pillows and blankets are in the hall closet. Help yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment